Re: Possible recordings of Celi as a composer

LiliMarlen at aol.com
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:07:56 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/99 2:01:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
popavlad at isp.acorp.ro writes:

> To those who listened to Der Taschengarten : what was it like?
> I'm curious. (I knew that it was played and released in a limited
> edition with the London Philharmonic - I think I read that in
> "Celibidache der andere Maestro")

Der Taschengarten is a very spirited piece for children. All the numbers are
short, like children's songs are short. They have imaginative titles like
"wind sings in the tulips," or Mr. Duck's sermon, etc. I myself like it,
there are a few passages that remind me of Prokofiev. The first number is
called "Children, come in" , and the last is the same as the first, but not
with that title, simply a reprise "that's all". All the titles have German
names originally. One of my favorites is the Dance of the beetle." (These
titles are not exact, I am translating from German). My grand daughter likes
it too, and loves to move with the music as the pieces go through the
different moods. I play it often when the grandchildren are around.
Karen Carter