Re: Possible recordings of Celi as a composer

Dan Dickstein (DDickstein at FCB.COM)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:48:54 -0400

--------------D580C66C95A576328E073180

Celist, the performances record of Sergiu Celibidache, at
http://www.wizvax.net/akira/celi/performances/index.html , lists the
following performances of Celibidache compositions:

Celibidache, S
der Taschengarten
1979 : Stuttgart
(* world premiere *)
????

Celibidache, S
der Taschengarten
1980.06? : Suddeutschen Rundfunk, Stuttgart
Stuttgart RO
LP : MEDIAPHON : INT 160.832 : STEREO
LP : PHILIPS : 27PC 25 : STEREO

Frescobaldi, G
Ricercare e Toccata (Celibidache, S)
1961.10.22 : Napoli
Napoli RAI
CD : SUITE : CDS 1 7001

I have the Phillips pressing of Der Taschengarten, which is a bit recessed
and muddy and sonically quite inferior to the Deutsche Gramophone SDR
Stuttgart issues as well as the best of the Pirates I've collected. I am
hopeful that the LP is a poor reflection of the master tape and that a
superior version will someday be released.

Celi's identification with Bruckner certainly isn't reflected in this
composition, at least if one expects imitation. My skills are not adequate
to describe it. Perhaps I can compound my uselessness by suggesting that if
Ma MïÓe l'Oye had been written not by Ravel, but by Mussorgsky after an
extended sojourn in Tibet . . .

Unfortunately the liner notes are in Japanese.

Mihai Popa wrote:

> Here is a complete (I hope) list of Celi's compositions:
>
> - 4 symphonies
> - 1 suite for Orchestra (Der Taschengarten)
> - 1 piano concerto
>
> >From the above 6 only Der Taschengarten was ever palyed. I doubt thay
> any conductor would try to perform this works, or that Serge would agree
> to it, because there were never ment to be played in public.
>
> Besides, name one conductor who could do it.
>
> To those who listened to Der Taschengarten : what was it like?
> I'm curious. (I knew that it was played and released in a limited
> edition with the London Philharmonic - I think I read that in
> "Celibidache der andere Maestro")
>
> Mihai Popa

--------------D580C66C95A576328E073180

Celist, the performances record of Sergiu Celibidache, at http://www.wizvax.net/akira/celi/performances/index.html , lists the following performances of Celibidache compositions:

Celibidache, S
   der Taschengarten
      1979 : Stuttgart
      (* world premiere *)
         ????

Celibidache, S
   der Taschengarten
      1980.06? : Suddeutschen Rundfunk, Stuttgart
         Stuttgart RO
            LP : MEDIAPHON : INT 160.832 : STEREO
            LP : PHILIPS : 27PC 25 : STEREO

Frescobaldi, G
   Ricercare e Toccata (Celibidache, S)
      1961.10.22 : Napoli
         Napoli RAI
            CD : SUITE : CDS 1 7001

I have the Phillips pressing of Der Taschengarten, which is a bit recessed and muddy and sonically quite inferior to the Deutsche Gramophone SDR Stuttgart issues as well as the best of the Pirates I've collected. I am hopeful that the LP is a poor reflection of the master tape and that a superior version will someday be released.

Celi's identification with Bruckner certainly isn't reflected in this composition, at least if one expects imitation. My skills are not adequate to describe it. Perhaps I can compound my uselessness by suggesting that if Ma Mère l'Oye had been written not by Ravel, but by Mussorgsky after an extended sojourn in Tibet . . .