Re: Response to LEW/EMI vol 3

Dan Dickstein (DDickstein at fcb.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:49:02 -0400

--------------5728C60893C5E6D04634B172

Gramophone Online ( http://www.gramophone.co.uk/ ) lists the following EMI
Celibidache recordings to be released in the UK on May 4, 1999

Beethoven Sym No 3. Munich PO / Celibidache. (F) CDC5 56839-2

Beethoven Sym No 6. Leonore Ov No 3. Munich PO / Celibidache. (F)
CDC5 56840-2

Beethoven Sym No 9. Donath / Soffel / Jerusalem / Lika / Ch / Munich
PO / Celibidache. (F) CDC5 56842-2

Beethoven Syms Nos 1-9. Brahms Syms Nos 1-4. Deutsches Requiem
(pp1990s: 10 CDs). Sols / Munich PO / Celibidache. (F) CDS5 56837-2

Beethoven Syms Nos 2 & 5. Munich PO / Celibidache. (F) CDC5
56838-2

Beethoven Syms Nos 7 & 8. Munich PO / Celibidache. (F) CDC5
56841-2

Brahms Sym No 1. Deutsches Requiem (2 CDs). Auger / Van Dam / Ch /
Munich PO / Celibidache. (F) CDS5 56843-2

Brahms Syms Nos 2-4 (2 CDs). Munich PO / Celibidache. (F) CDS5
56846-2

For those unfamiliar with Gramophone listings, (F) indicates full price.

I would have preferred to see a completion of the Schumann cycle begun in VOL 1
instead of repeats of Beethoven 4 and 5, even if they are different
performances.

Regarding the change in labels, this is purely speculation, but it is possible
that EMI wasn't interested in extending their contract. Or, perhaps the family
became aware of EMI's penchant for discontinuing releases prematurely. Maybe DG
made a better offer.

That's all I know

Dan Dickstein