Re: Celi and Radu Lupu

Gene Halaburt (genehal at csi.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:48:55 -0700

George Murnu wrote on 15Feb99:

>One of Celi's very last subscription concerts was the series scheduled
>on April 21, 22, 23, and 24 1996, the soloist being his compatriot Radu
>Lupu. Knowing Celi's health at that time, did those concerts actually
>took place and did Radu Lupu actually played as scheduled? If not, did
>Celi and Radu Lupu played together before?

And Adrian Jojatu responded on 16Feb99:

>No they, never played before,
>I talked to Radu Lupu last year and he told that it was supposed to be
>scheduled sometime for 97 but never happened

The performance record compiled by Mr. Ouchi found at:

http://www.wizvax.net/akira/celi/performances/index.html

indicates that although rehearsals took place for the concerts mentioned,
Celi's health forced cancellation of the actual concerts. The performance
record also shows Lupu performing the Schumann Concerto in A Minor
Op. 54 with Celi conducting the Munich Philharmonic on Nov. 28 - Dec.
01, 1988.