Re: Future DG Celi Releases

Dan Dickstein (DDickstein at fcb.com)
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:19:57 -0500

Gene Halaburt wrote:

> This from DG Classics site at:
>
> http://www.dgclassics.com/news/i9812pc.htm
>
> New contracts announced at the press conference include a new exclusive
> agreement with the Celibidache family which will make Deutsche
> Grammophon the Celibidaches' sole authorized partner worldwide for release
> and exploitation of Sergiu Celibidache's legacy of unreleased recordings. In
> the course of the next five years Deutsche Grammophon plans to issue The
> Celibidache Edition, a comprehensive edition of Celibidache's work from all
> major periods of his career. The Edition is to comprise a total of 60 CDs
> - 12
> per year over the next five years - to be released in boxed sets and later
> individually. The first sets are scheduled to appear in 1999, thanks to an
> agreement with Suddeutsche Rundfunk, and will document the conductor's
> work with the SWR Stuttgart Radio-Symphony Orchestra from 1972 to 1983.
> The first 3-CD set, to be released in February 1999, is devoted to the
> complete Brahms Symphonies and includes a fourth, bonus CD featuring a
> remarkable rehearsal of the first movement of the Fourth Symphony. Two
> more sets will follow later in 1999, consisting of repertoire by Russian and
> French composers with whom Celibidache was strongly associated. As with
> the Brahms, both these sets will be accompanied by bonus CDs of
> rehearsals.
> -
> Gene Halaburt
> genehal at csi.com

I welcome the switch to DG, both for the broader scope of the projected releases
and because DG doesnÃÕ quite share EMIÃÔ passion for deleting items from its
catalogue.

Nevertheless I wonder what effect this will have on the continued availability
of volumes 1 and 2 of the EMI edition (will the Bruckner still be released in
the US?), as well as the fate volume 3, described in the Celibidache Forum as
containing performances with various unspecified soloists.

Furthermore, will EMI maintain the rights to any material not already released?
RavelÃÔ Mother Goose was listed in early promotions, and was even printed on the
cellophane spine of one disk in volume 1, but it has yet to make it to CD. Will
this and perhaps several other performances just sit in an EMI vault?

More simply, has the EMI contract been terminated, or just not extended? Can we
anticipate, at least for a time, simultaneous releases from both labels?

Just in case anyone hasnÃÕ already seen it, here is a July 1997 article by Paul
Moor, posted at the Archives of Classical Music, announcing the EMI deal.